Feb 28, 2011

Nerdity: Superfluids!


Superfliuds are basically the Zombie Jesus of physics.
Gravity? They flow UP containers!
Air tight container? LOL NOPE I'M OUTTA HERE
I'm just here to highlight some points from the article


Neutron stars contain the densest known matter that is directly observable.
One teaspoon of neutron star material weighs six billion tons.

No, seriously, SIX BILLION TONS IN A TEASPOON.
Think about that for a second. Holy shiat.
This not to mention that....


The onset of superfluidity in materials on Earth occurs at extremely low temperatures near absolute zero, but in neutron stars, it can occur at temperatures near a billion degrees Celsius.

(You can just assume there's a Dr Evil face next to every statement in this article)
Everyone quit biatching about the heat or the cold. These are basically fluid hipsters. "I exist at a very specific temperautre and pressure, it's really obscure, you've probably never heard of it"


Didn't think that was enough?


Superfluids containing charged particles are also superconductors, meaning they act as perfect electrical conductors and never lose energy.


Oh yeah, not just frictionless and unaffected by gravity, they have INIFINITE ENERGY. (anyone esle just read that in a really dramatic voice?... just me?)


That's all I got for now. It seems like a good day for science, so we'll probably be posting science! during the day.

1 comment:

  1. Can we have a vote to name all of Cooper's posts "Cooper's Diary" ?

    Just because I can imagine him writing this down excitedly in a notebook and thinking about his next post while everyone is trying to figure out what the hell the last one meant. Haha.

    ReplyDelete