#5 - Potatoes
![]() |
| "Guys, look what I found. Should we try to eat it?" |
Vegetables need to take a lesson from fruits. Fruits are brightly colored and sweet and grow in plain sight; vegetables are bitter and ugly and hard to see. And in the case of the potato, you can't just pull it out of the ground and bite into it (unless you like the horrid taste of raw potato). But once you crack the potato code and learn how to make french fries, it's game over. Suddenly, potatoes are a staple of the American diet. They are a symbol of freedom and capitalism. And if the drunken Irish farmers hadn't completely focused their food supply around the potato (instead of, oh I don't know, fish? Ireland, you are an island!) and been forced to move to America during the blight, we wouldn't have the Celtics, the Dopkick Murphys, or Conan O'Brien. All thanks to someone trying to eat a potato.
#4 - Mushrooms
![]() |
| Wanna roll the dice that these aren't poisonous? Or spider eggs? |
Back to the part where I said a lot of people probably died in add to us to order mushrooms on our 1:30am Dominos order. There are hundreds of different types of mushrooms that are poisonous. Some will kill you, some will only cause severe stomach pains and vomiting. Some will make you trip so you think you can fly and end up falling to your death. So imagine back in the pre-internet, pre-telephone times when someone discovered a mushroom was toxic; they eat it in the woods, they die in the woods. No one makes the connection that the cause of death was a mushroom, so it's not recorded as one of ways to die in a forest for everyone to learn from. But thanks to man's persistence, we now have stuffed mushroom appetizers.
#3 - Sausage
![]() |
| Mashing animals into their own interstine; all in a day's work. |
Seriously, the part that really gets to me is the casing. Who would ever take the intestines of an animal, turn them inside-out, and use them to hold that animal's ground up organs. It is the most brutal and disgusting way you could ingest meat. But it is sooo good! Have you ever let sausgae cook all day in a sauce? It's so tender and delicious. I don't care if butchers forced the animal's friends and family watch the slaughtering and marinated the meat in children's tears; whatever they're doing is working!
#2 - Cheese
![]() |
| I can almost smell the curd stench through the computer screen |
So this is the stuff we ask for on our sandwiches and add to our pasta. I think it was found to be a delicious addition to meals when someone used it to try to poison their mortal enemy; why else would someone think to add sour, curdled milk remnants to food? Well, that plan backfired and the targeted poison victim ended up with an even better meal. So farmers, keep experimenting with the disgusting things you find on your farm and report back when you make something as good as cheese.
#1 - Lobster
![]() |
| Yea, I can see how that thing would taste good |
Let's go a little deeper, though. Aside from fish, is there anything in the ocean that looks like it should be eaten? Marine animals are probably the worst-looking creatures, so it must have taken a really hungry guy to look at a octopus and think, "I could totally eat this monster with a bulbous head and 8 phallus-like arms covered in suction cups". Or how about the guy who discovered caviar? "Guys, help me eat all these fish eggs before they hatch!" But to those brave men and women who decided to throw caution to the wind and eat these under-evolved sea creatures, I thank you. Christmas dinners for Italians just wouldn't be the same.
So what we have learned today is that people will try to eat anything. I have a friend who will continue that great tradition through dollar bets. So who knows, maybe someday everyone will be enjoying my concoction of grape juice, thousand island dressing, and marinara sauce all because I paid someone a dollar to try it!
I know all you readers think I'm hysterical, so read some of my older posts. Start by clicking here for the last low five. And Stumble me, if you are cool like that.





Potatoes were not discovered by the Irish. They were brought over to Europe by the explores that came back from the new world( the Americas).
ReplyDelete/throwing up lunch now/
ReplyDeleteok fine i didn't do a ton of fact-checking because its friday. replace irish farmers with peruvian natives. the point of the post is that potatoes are one of the foods that i can't picture anyone finding and deciding to eat
ReplyDeleteI promise that first comment wasn't me. Shocking I know.
ReplyDeleteliterally just ate a lobster.... hmmm sea scorpion
ReplyDeletewho eats at 5pm?
ReplyDeleteKat and harry eat at 5 for one...if the irish didn't have potatoes me sac and Perm would not exist...and evan we all know you know the kosher foods cue you're a jew
ReplyDelete